Friday, July 23, 2010

Saying goodbye is never easy...

Well it is officially offical! The merger has been finalized, the t's have been crossed, i's have been dotted, and the offer letter is here! I'm so excited to be legally allowed to announce that Matt and I are moving back to Raleigh! He has been transferred to the distribution center in Apex, NC. We'll live in Raleigh and be back where it all started!

Before we can move home on Wednesday, we must get our affairs in order here in Sumter. One of those affairs is getting rid of all of the "fraternity and college era" furniture.

Last night we took his desk, end tables, and coffee table to Goodwill. There was a sweet woman in her car at the drive thru fast food restaurant at the right time. She sent her cute grandson running over to ask, "My grandma wants to know how much you will sell those end tables to her for?" I said, "Tell your grandma she can have them." He was so excited. They came over and we loaded them up in her car. She was getting them for her mom who was 90 and needed some furniture. It was so sweet and it made me feel really good.

Even goodwill wouldn't take the coffee table. Okay, maybe there isn't a single person that would want the table that was chewed on one corner by Rivers (the sweet lab that Matt lived with in St. Louis...). Jason ---hope you have taught him not to chew. At least he knew the difference between good furniture and not so good furniture.

Now for the hard one...I had to say goodbye to my 20 year old couch. I didn't realize how attached I was to this couch. Let me explain where this couch has been and what it has gotten Maria and I through...

- Started on Purdue street right after our parents got divorced...(there may have been some tears)
- Moved to Spyglass Way when we moved my senior year in high school (quite possibly some making out)
- Went to my mom's office on Barrett Drive when they started their mental health company (some business meetings)
- Moved to mom's office on Myron Drive when they sold the company (probably some mental health patients on it during therapy)
- Moved to Oberlin Road for two years while I was in college (can't say what happened on the couch then)
- Moved to Carson Street to be with Matt for a year (don't even want to know what happened on it)
-Went to St. Louis with Matt for the year (The couch didn't really like the midwest.)
- And it finished up it's journey in Sumter for a year!

We realized that it was time to get a new couch as we started married life together and Matt found a guy at work that need a couch for his mother-in-law. As soon as Matt told me that he had found someone who wanted the couch, I all of a sudden thought I wanted to keep it. It was hard to come to terms with it. I asked Matt if this guy was credible and would he take good care of this couch. Matt assured me he would!

The hardest part was breaking the news to Maria (for those of you who don't know who Maria is...she is my sister Meghan)!
Me: Maria, we are getting rid of the couch soon before we move back to Raleigh.
Maria: What the heck? That's like getting rid of the 3937 number. (*Maria had an especially hard time when Mom and Frank decided to get rid of the kid's line at our house when we both hadn't lived there for 2 years and the line wasn't being used. Maria told mom that she had tried calling the number and it didn't work. Mom informed her that the number was gone. She said, "Have you told Jessica?" Hahaha, it's okay Maria. I am fine with it.)
Me: I know but it is just not going to work in our new place. Do you want it back?
Maria: Well no, but how can you get rid of it? (Typical Maria!)
Last night via Blackberry Messenger while Maria is in San Fran and Napa Valley...
Me: Well Sister Maria we are saying goodbye to our beloved couch tonight!!
Maria: I am so sad. RIP. Please take a picture. RIP sweet couch. I will miss you. That couch has experienced lots of making out from the Pike girls. (sorry mom!)

So here you go Maria...some pictures of that dear couch!


















No comments:

Post a Comment