Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Matt and I took off the whole day we closed! We weren't sure how long closing would take and we wanted to celebrate the purchase of our first home. We finished closing and then celebrated over lunch. After lunch, we went over to the house and walked around. I looked at him and said, "Now what do we do?" Matt replied, "We start the renovations."

We knew this house was a fixer upper and we were going to start with the kitchen. We had planned to knock down the wall between the kitchen and dining room, put down a new floor, new drywall, new kitchen cabinets, and relocate the washer/dryer upstairs.

So on day one, we began to take down the kitchen cabinets.

One cabinet down...





Cabinets, washer, dryer, stove, and drywall out... (looking towards the backyard)
 View of Kitchen from backdoor
 Matt beginning to take down drywall in the dining room.
 I promise I did help too!
 View from kitchen towards dining room
 Dining Room drywall coming down.

 Dining Room drywall removed...

 We didn't find any dead bodies or stored jewels in the walls during this process. I sure hoped I was going to have a great story to tell people. However, as I was vacumming out the dust/insulation up, I came across hundreds of razor blades. Matt informed me that in the 50s men used to shave with the razor blades and when they became dull they would drop them in the walls. Sure enough, right above where all the razor blades were was the medicine cabinet with a slot in it. I bet they never thought anyone would find these blades!

Razor Blades
 More Blades
 The slot in the medicine cabinet from the bathroom.
 Wall down between kitchen and dining room.
 Ceiling out!

No comments:

Post a Comment